当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > The english we speak(BBC教学)第89期:It's a joke 荒唐可笑

The english we speak(BBC教学)第89期:It's a joke 荒唐可笑

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.07W 次

padding-bottom: 66.88%;">The english we speak(BBC教学)第89期:It's a joke 荒唐可笑

Helen: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English, I'm Helen. With me today is quite a frustrated-looking Neil. Neil, what are you doing to that mobile phone?

海伦:大家好,欢迎来到BBC英语教学频道的我们说的英语节目,我是海伦。今天我们请到了尼尔,他看上去非常生气。尼尔,你拿着手机做什么呢?

Neil: Argh, I can't get it to make a phone call. It does everything else: it takes photos, it connects to the internet, it even irons my shirts but it won't make a call!

尼尔:哎哟,我不能打电话。这部手机其它的功能都有:可以拍照,可以上网,甚至可以熨衬衫,可它就是不能打电话!

Helen: Your mobile phone irons your shirts?

海伦:你的手机可以烫衬衫?

Neil: No, not really, but honestly it does everything apart from the one thing I want it to do–make a phone call. It's a joke!

尼尔:不,实际上不是,说实话,它什么功能都有,除了我希望它有的功能——打电话。真是荒唐!

Helen: A joke? But you're not laughing. It can't be a very funny joke.

海伦:玩笑?可是你并没有笑啊。那并不是个有趣的玩笑。

Neil: Well if you say something is a joke in English it can also mean that it's not very good or not worthy of respect.

尼尔:嗯,英语中如果你说某件事很荒唐,可以是指那并不是很好,或者是不值得重视的事情。

Helen: Yes, 'joke' has a second meaning.

海伦:对,joke这个词还有其它意思。

Example:

例子:

The investigation into police corruption was a complete joke. Everyone knows the officers were taking money but they were let off.

对有关警察腐败问题的调查简直荒唐可笑。所有人都知道警察收受贿赂了,可是他们却被放走了。

The weather forecast was a total joke. It said it would be warm and sunny but it's freezing and raining.

天气预报真是可笑。天气预报说今天会是温暖的明天,可是其实却是个寒冷的雨天。

Helen: As you heard there in the example, the person described an investigation into police corruption as a joke. This doesn't mean it was funny. It means it wasn't serious. Also the weather forecast was so bad it was described as a joke.

海伦:就像你在例子中听到的,人们形容对警察腐败问题的调查荒唐可笑。这并不是说那很有趣。而是说那并不严谨。同样天气预报也很糟糕,所以也可以形容为可笑。

Neil: Notice that you can add words before 'joke' to make the meaning even stronger. It's a complete joke.

尼尔:我们注意到你可以在可笑前加形容词使意思更加强烈。这非常荒唐。

Helen: A complete joke.

海伦:非常荒唐。

Neil: It's a total joke.

尼尔:可笑透了。

Helen: A total joke.

海伦:可笑透了。

Neil: It's an absolute joke.

尼尔:绝对是荒唐的事情。

Helen: Anyway Neil, why don't you just read the instructions for your new mobile phone? Then you'll probably be able to work out how to make a call.

海伦:不管怎样,尼尔,你为什么不看看新手机的说明书呢?然后你可能就知道怎么打电话了。

Neil: I looked at the instructions but they're an absolute joke.

尼尔:我看过说明书了,可是那简直荒唐透顶。

Helen: Oh really?

海伦:哦,真的吗?

Neil: Well for a start they are in about 17 languages apart from English.

尼尔:首先,说明书上有17种语言,但就是没有英语。

Helen: What a joke!

海伦:真是可笑!

Neil: Yeah I know.

尼尔:对,我知道。

Helen: Well we've heard lots of jokes in today's programme but there hasn't been much laughing.

海伦:今天我们在节目中听了很多可笑的事,不过其实并不是很有趣。

Neil: Argh, what a useless piece of …

尼尔:哎哟,真是一个没用的……

Helen: Let's hope Neil finally works out how to use his phone.

海伦:我们希望尼尔最后能弄明白如何使用他的手机。

Neil: Argh, this is beyond a joke, it really is…

尼尔:哎哟,这真是让人无法接受,它真的是……

Helen: Join us again for The English We Speak.

海伦:欢迎大家收看下期我们说的英语节目。

Neil: Argh, mobiles…

尼尔:哎哟,手机……

重点讲解:
1. let off
对…宽大处理;
eg. Because he was a Christian, the judge let him off.
由于他是基督徒,法官便对他从轻发落。
eg. When police realised who he was, they asked for an autograph and let him off with a warning.
警察知道他是谁后,便向他要了签名,然后只给了他个警告就放他走了。
2. be worthy of
值得…的;应该获得…的;
eg. We esteem him to be worthy of trust.
我们认为他值得信任。
eg. His spirit of assiduous study is worthy of emulation.
他刻苦钻研的精神,值得效法。
3. for a start
首先;第一;
eg. You must get her name and address, and that can be a problem for a start.
你必须先打听到她的姓名和地址,而那可能就是第一个难题。
eg. It comes as a surprise to be reminded that he is 70. For a start, he doesn't look it.
有人提醒我他 70 岁了,这很令人惊讶。首先,他看上去不像。
4. apart from
除…外;此外;
eg. I have nothing more to ask you about apart from these questions.
除了这些问题,我没有别的要了解了。
eg. Apart from my host, I didn't know a single person there.
除了主人外,那里的人我一个也不认识。
5. beyond a joke
(恼人或令人担心的事)不可理喻,使人无法接受;
eg. Giving an arsonist a lighter is beyond a joke.
把打火机交给纵火犯简直是不可理喻。
eg. I'm not afraid of a fair fight but this is beginning to get beyond a joke.
“我不怕公平地打上一架,但是这玩笑有点儿开过头了。”