当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > The english we speak(BBC教学)第38期:on the up稳步上升

The english we speak(BBC教学)第38期:on the up稳步上升

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.3W 次

padding-bottom: 67.26%;">The english we speak(BBC教学)第38期:on the up稳步上升

Jennifer: Jean, look at the time! It's 5 o'clock. Time to go home. Are you coming out for a drink after work?

珍妮佛:琼,看看时间!已经5点了。该回家了。你下班以后要出来喝一杯吗?

Jean: Sure, shall we go to the bar on the ground floor?

琼:好的,我们要去地下的那个酒吧吗?

Jennifer: Great idea, I love it there. It's very handy working six floors above one of the best bars in London!

珍妮佛:好主意,我很喜欢这里。在伦敦最好的酒吧之一的上面工作很方便!

Jean: I know. Let's go. Shall we take the stairs? I know six floors is a long way down, but the lift is always broken.

琼:我知道。我们走。我们应该走楼梯吗?我知道六层是很长的一段路,但是电梯经常是坏的。

Jennifer: I think it's been fixed now... let's see...

珍妮佛:我觉得现在应该已经修好了...我们看看...

Jean: It has been fixed. Great!

琼:它已经修好了。太棒了!

Jennifer: Things are on the up in this place!

珍妮佛:这个地方一切都在稳步上升!

Jean: Up? That's not right, we need to go down. The bar is on the ground floor, we are on the sixth, so we definitely shouldn't be going up...

琼:上升?这不对,我们需要向下走。酒吧在地下,我们在六层,所以我们一定不能向上走。

Jennifer: No, that's not what I mean. In English, the phrase 'on the up' is used to describe something that is improving, or getting better. Things are 'on the up' here – they are getting better because the lift has been fixed.

珍妮佛:不,这不是我的意思。在英语中,词组“稳步上升”用来形容事情在进步,或变好。这里事情在稳步上升--它们在变好是因为电梯修好了。

Jean: I see!

琼:我懂了!

Jennifer: Let's hear some more examples of this phrase.

珍妮佛:让我们来听几个关于这个短语的例子吧。

My sister has just got a new job. The company has given her a house and a car as part of the deal – things are on the up for her!

我姐姐刚得到了一个新工作。公司给了她一套房子和一辆车作为交易--她的生活正在稳步上升!

The economy is on the up now that the new government is in power. They've already helped to create thousands of new jobs!

新政府掌权后经济稳步上升。他们协助创造了上千的新工作!

Jean: On the up. Great phrase!

琼:稳步上升。好词组!

Jennifer: Well, here we are, I'll get the drinks in. What would you like?

珍妮佛:好的,我们到了,我去拿喝的。你想要什么?

Jean: I think I'll go for a cocktail, please, a Cosmopolitan maybe?

琼:我想要一个鸡尾酒,或许一个大都市鸡尾酒?

Jennifer: No problem, I'll get one too. Two Cosmopolitans, please.

珍妮佛:没问题,我也要一个。请来两个大都市鸡尾酒。

Barman: It's your lucky day! All cocktails are half price today!

酒保:今天是你们的幸运日!所有的鸡尾酒今天都是半价!

Jean: Brilliant, things are on the up because the price has gone down!

琼:太棒了,一切稳步上升因为标价下降了!

Jennifer: Very good!

珍妮佛:太棒了!

Jean: Cheers!

琼:干杯!