当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 英语突破情景对话 > 关于哈佛大学学院情景对话

关于哈佛大学学院情景对话

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 2.6W 次

哈佛大学,简称哈佛。坐落于美国马萨诸塞州剑桥市,是一所享誉世界的私立研究型大学,是著名的常春藤盟校成员,被公认为是当今世界最顶尖的高等教育机构之一。下面本站小编为大家带来关于哈佛大学学院情景对话,欢迎大家学习!

关于哈佛大学学院情景对话

 哈佛大学学院情景对话:哈佛法学院

Han Meimei is watching the movie “Liar” on TV when there is a knock at the door.

H: Hey, John, why are you.here?

呀,约翰,你怎么来了?

J: I just went to my uncle’s and stop by. You’re watching TV?

我刚去我叔叔家,顺便就过来看下你。你在看电视吗?

H: Yeah, a movie called Liar. I like Jim Carrey. He’s so funny.

是啊,看电影《大话王》。我喜欢金·凯瑞,他很搞笑。

J: A little nonsensica.

有点无厘头吧。

H: I'm surprised that lawyers have such a bad reputation in America.

我很吃惊,律师在美国的名声很差哦!

J: It’s true that people don’t like lawyers, but they can’t live without lawyers.

这是寘的,大家都不喜欢律师,但是又离不开他们。

H: Just like the rich people in the movie, they can buy freedom with money.

就像电影里说的,有钱人魷能用钱买自由。

J: Do yowant to be a lawyer any more after watching the movie on TV?

看了这电影之后你还想当一名律师吗?

H: Well, this career is indeed profitable. As you said, people need lawyers all the time. But now, I have another goal.

嗯,这样的职业确实很赚钱啦。正如你说的,大家一直都需要律师的。但现在我有另一个 目标。

J: What’s it?

什么目标?

H: You must promise not to laugh at me first. Cross your heart.

你要保证你不笑话我哦。你发誓!

J: Ok, I cross it.

好,我发誓。

H: If I stay in America, Fm determined to fight for the rights of Chinese who don’t know American laws. I don’t want to be a liar and a slave to money, who grind those poor people beneath his or her heel.

H:如果我留在美国,我决心要为不懂美国法律的中国人争取权益。我不要成为一个 说谎的人,也不要成为金钱的奴隶,把穷人踩在自己的脚底下。

J: Salute!

J:向你致敬!

H: John, don't forget what you promised.

约翰,不要忘了你的保证哦!

J: I did it from the heart.

我是发自内心的!

H: But first I have to go to a law school. Is it too early to say this?

但苜先我要能考上法学院。现在说这个是否有点太早啦?

J: No, only a person with a dream can go far.

不会,一个人要有梦想才能走得远。

H: Right. But easier said than done. The admittance rate of Harvard Law School is only about 7%.

对!但说的比做的轻松。哈佛法学院录取率只有7%。

J: I have confidence in you. You can make it. Anyway, you must give it a shot before

you know you can do it or not. It never will rain roses.

我对你有信心,你能做到的。不管怎样你都要先试一试才知道行不行。想不劳而 获也是不可能的。

H: Application is difficult, but study at the Law School is more Socratic teaching method daunts me.

申请很困难,而在法学院学习则更吃力。我被苏格拉底教学法吓到了。

J: What’s so horrible about it?

为什么这么恐怖呀?

H: Law School professors love debating with students. Every semester, each student must have at least one or two heated debates with each professor who teaches them. The debate sometime lasts for over ten minutes.

法学院教授都爱与学生辩论。每学期每个学生至少要与教他们的每一个教授进行 1?2次的激烈辩论,有的还长达10分钟以上。

J: As long as you,re prepared, you don’t have to worry too much.

只要你准备充分,就不用太担心。

H: I’m worried about my English. After all, Fm not a native speaker.

我很担心我的英语啊,毕竟我的母语不是英语。

J: Your English is pretty good now. Irm sure you’ll have a good command of English after staying in America for some time.

你的英语已经很好啦,我相信你在美国学习一段时间后一定会很精通英语的。

H: I believe so. Where there is will, there is a way.

我相信是,有志者事竟成嘛!

J: By the way, how much do you know about Harvard Law School?

对了,你对哈佛法学院的了解有多少?

H: Are you testing me? Don’t underestimate me, I,ve been collecting information about Law School.

你在考我吗?别小看我哦,我已经收集了很多关于它的信息。

J: Tell me something I don’t know.

那讲些我不知道的结我听听。

H: Do you know how many current Supreme Court justices are Harvard Law School graduates?

你知道现在有多少最高法院的法官是哈佛法学院的毕业生吗?

J: You got me. How many?

还真被你问住了,有多少?

H: Six. Isn’t it amazing? You know, there5re only nine justices in Supreme Court in total!

6个!惊讶吧?伯^知道吗,最高法院的法官总共才9个。

J: The Law School deserves its high reputation.

法学院真是名不虚传啊。

H: And a quarter of all Supreme Court clerks in the last five years come from Harvard Law School.

在过去的5年里,最高法院有1/4的司法人员都来自于哈佛法学院。

J: Incredible.

哇,难以置信!

H: Maybe I can be a member of the Supreme Court if everything goes well.

如果一切顺利的话,说不定我以后能成为最高法院的一员呢。

J: President Obama also graduated from Harvard Law School.

奥巴马总统也是哈佛法学院毕业的。

H: I know. The blacks had their turn, now it’s women’s turn. I want to do something for women.

我知道,黑人早已经翻身掌权,现在轮到女同胞了。我一定要为女同胞们做点事。

J: Oh, My! You’re so ambitious.

噢,上帝!你还真有雄心壮志。

H: I prefer to believe that’s a compliment,

我宁愿相信这是一句赞美的话。

J: It is. Cross my heart.

是啊,我发誓。

  哈佛大学学院情景对话:哈佛学院

Han Meimei and John meet on Monday. They are now talking about their future major.

J: Han, Which major do you plan to choose?

J:韩,打算选什么专业啊?

H: I haven’t think about this question.

H:我还设想过这个问题。

J: Jesus! Don’t you worry about or even think about you future?

J:天啊,你从来没想过或担心过你的前途吗?

H: Yes,I do. I just don’t want to ask for trouble so early.

H:是的,我只是不想这么早就自寻烦恼。

J: Too early? Han, it's your second year in high school!

J:太早?梅梅,你现在已经是高二了!

H: So what? Give me a break. Don’t laugh at me.

H:那又怎样?得了,别取笑我了。

J: Don’t get angry. I was just kidding, to test your knowledge of Harvard University.

J:别生气,我只是开开玩笑,想试下你对哈佛大学的了解程度。

H: Did it sound like a joke?

H:这像开玩笑吗?

J: I apologize. But you have to confess that you don’t know Harvard at all.

J:我道歉,但是你不得不承认你对哈佛大学一无所知。

H: Not again. Does it have anything to do with Harvard?

H:又来了。这与哈佛大学有什么关系吗?

J: Yeah, of course it does. Aren’t you going to Harvard after graduation?

J:当然有关系了,你毕业后不是想去哈佛大学吗?

H: Sure.

H:是啊。

J: So you’re right not to think too much about your major too early.

J:因此你不想太早过多地考虑专业选择的问题是对的。

H: Don’t fool me. You know how important a major is? You know what a major mean? To a large extent,it'll determine your future life,.

H:别笑我了,你知道专业有多重要吗?你知道专业意味着什 么吗?在很大程度上,专业会决定你未来的生活。

J: That’s right. A lot of students go to college because they believe that a good college or a

good major will help them find a good job in the future.

J:很对。很多学生认为上个好大学或者选择_个好专业会帮 他们在未来找个好工作。

H: Is it wrong to think so?

H:那么这么想,错了吗?

J: No. I said everyone has their own values. But to me, a good higher education aims to

educate well-rounded individuals.

J:不是的,每个人都有自己的价值观,但是对我来说,一个好的高等教育的目标是要培育全面发展的人。

H: Aren’t we?

H:难道我们不是?

J: If you aim at pursuing a certain occupational target, then you’re not well-rounded.

J:如果你的目标是从事某一种职业,那么你就不是很全面了。

H: Make sense. I have so many interests and I don’t want to give up any of them. As a result, I can’t decide on my major.

H:有道理,我有许多兴趣,我不想放弃任何一个,所以我还设决定我要选什么专业。

J: Don’t worry. The freshmen don’t choose a major at Harvard College. They are only

required to take Expository Writing, and may enroll any courses in which they are interested.

J:别担心,哈佛学院的新生不用选择专业。他们只要求新生学习说明文写作,学生 可以根据自己的喜好选择所要学习的课程。

H: That’s great!

H:那太好了 !

J: Besides, you can even change your major.

J:另外,你还可以换专业。

H: Couldn’t imagine that.

H:真是难以想象啊!

J: Harvard College offers us a liberal education. You do have a major, but it’s not so important as you thought, especially when you plan to go to graduate school.

J:哈佛学院提供了一个自由的教育环境,你可以选择一个专业,但是专业设有你想 象中的那么重要,特别是如果你打算继续研究生学习的话。

H: Unbelievable.

H:难以置信。

J: The good graduate schools want flexible, adaptable minds, minds exposed to a broad

range of knowledge and trained in rigorous critical thinking.

J:好的研究生院是希望学生有灵活和适应性强的头脑,能够掌握全面的知识,拥有 良好的逻辑思考能力。

H: So I don’t have to get a bachelor degree m pre-law if I want to go to the Law School.

H:那就是说,如果我想进入法学院,我可以不用先拿到法学预科学位。

J: Yes.

J:是的。

H: Really? (Han Meimei lets out a sigh of relief). To be honest, I've been torn between American literature and law. Vm interested in literature, but I want to be a lawyer.

H:真的?(韩梅梅舒了一口气)说真的,我正在为选择美国文学,还是选择法律而 左右为难呢。我喜欢文学,但是我又想成为一名律师。

J: You can major in literature first, and go to Law School for further education, like me.

J:你可以先选择文学专业,然后进人法学院读研究生,就像我一样。

H: You?

H:你?

J: I’m going to study physics and then go to Business School.

J:我会先学习物理,然后去读商学院。

H: Good idea!

H:好主意!

J: No matter how many your interests have, Harvard College will fulfill most of them. In addition to the major field of concentration, you can choose a secondary field which need not be related to the primary field.

J:无论有多少兴趣爱好,哈佛大学都能满足彳尔所有的需求。除了一个主攻学习专 业以外,你可以选择第二专业,但是这个第二专业无需和主攻专业相关。

H: We can choose as we wish.

H:我们可以根据自己的意愿来选择。

J: But we have to meet the minimal demand for a bachelor degree.

J:但我们需要达到学士学位的最低要求。

H: I like this kind of education. It treats students as humans rather than tools prepared for future walks.

H:我喜欢这样的教育方式,它把学生当成真正的人来培养,而不是把学生训练成未 来工作所需要的工具。

哈佛大学学院情景对话:哈佛肯尼迪学院

Han Meimei and John are reading magazines in the periodical reading room.

H: Look, you Americans has conceived of a new method to deal with its relations with other countries.

H:你看,美国想出了一种新方式去处理与其他国家的关系呢。

J: Is it soft power?

J:是软实力吗?

H: No, ifs smart power.

H:不,是巧实力。

J: Whafs that?

J:那是什么呢?

H: Here it reads that “smart power is the ability to combine hard and soft power into a wining strategy”,It’s defined by Joseph Nye. But I don’t see much difference from it. Its aim is still to maintain its super power position.

H:这里所说的“巧实力”其实就是硬实力和软实力的结含,软硬兼施,从而达到不 战而胜。这是约瑟夫?柰所下的定义。但是我觉得没什么实质上的区别,因为它 的目的仍然是维持其超级霸主的地位。

J: We don’t talk about politics and diplomacy, ok? It’s too sensitive. But I can tell you something about Joseph Nye.

J:我们不讨论政治和外交好吗?因为这太敏感了。但对于这个约瑟夫?奈,我倒可 以说一些他的事给

H: Who’s this guy?

H:他是谁呢?

J: What Iwanttotalkaboutis not Nye himself, but Harvard Kennedy School from which he graduated. Or you can call it Kennedy School of Government.

J:我想说的不是奈本人,而是他毕业的那所肯尼迪政府学院。

H: I know it. It’s also a very famous graduate school at Harvard, training up its students to become outstanding civil servants, politicians, and statesmen.

H:我知道。这也是一个非常著名的哈佛大学研究生 院,培养学生成为优秀的公务员、政客和政治家。

J: This school is relative young compared with other Harvard schools. It only has a history of about 70 years.

J:如果与其他学院相比,这所学院是一个相对比较 新的学院,它只有约70年的历史。

H: Really? That’s pretty young. Why did such an idea as founding a government school popped into its founder’s mind?

H:真的吗?那真的是相当的新。为什么突然想到去 成立一所政府学校呢?

J: At that time, the United States was in Great Depression and was on the verge of going into WWII. There seemed to be a lack of excellent talents in government.

J:当时美国在大萧条和第二次世界大战的边缘,政府似乎缺乏优秀的人才。

H: That was a dark period in American history. A lot of people were out of work, and lived a miserable life. People nearly lost confidence in government.

H:这是美国历史上黑暗的时期。很多人失去工作,并过着悲惨的生活。人们几乎失 去了政府的信心。

J: Therefore, a Harvard alumnus called Lucius N. Littauer donated some money to Harvard to found a new school which would train talents for the government.

J:因此,一位叫卢休斯?立陶尔哈佛校友绾哈佛捐了一些钱,建立了一所新的学校, 为政府焙养人才。

H: The benefactor was Littauer? I thought his name was Kennedy, because schools are often named after their benefactor, like Harvard University after John Harvard, and Widener Library after Harry Elkins Widener,

H:所以捐助者是立陶尔?我以为是肯尼迪呢,因为学校通常是他们的捐助者的名 字命名的,如哈佛大学是以约翰?哈佛;怀德纳图书馆是以哈利?埃尔金斯?威德 而是他所毕业的那所哈佛肯尼迪学校,或者你可以叫做肯纳?命名的。

J: I’ve no idea. I just know that there is center named after him, tha Littauer Center.

j:这我就不清楚了。我只知道有个中心是以他命名的,立陶尔中心。

H; Then why is it called Kennedy School? Does Kennedy here represent John Kennedy?

H:那么为什么叫肯尼迪学院?这里的肯尼迪是约翰?肯尼迪吗?

J: Yes, actually its full name is John F. Kennedy School of Government.

J:是的,实际上学院的全名是约翰?肯尼迪政府学院。

H: Did he make great contribution to the school?

H:他对这所学校有很大贡献呢?

J: Not really, but he made great contribution to the country.

J:也不尽然。其实他是对国家有更大的贡献。

H: His compassion for the blacks incurred anger from the white extremists and he was assassinated by one of them.

H:他对黑人的同情引发了白人极端分子的愤怒,而他也是被其中的分子所暗杀的。

J: You’re very familiar with American history.

J:看起来你非常了解美国历史呢。

H; I took a world history class.

H:我之前上过世界历史课呢。

J: Maybe Kennedy School want it students to remember Kennedy’s spirit and be good government officials.

J:也许是肯尼迪学院想要他们的学生记住肯尼迪的精神和要成为一名好的政府官员。

H: I heard that the School not only trains up talents for American government, but helps other nations train their government talents.

H:我听说这个学院不仅为美国政府培育人才,也帮助其他国家培训人才呢。

J: There have been tens of thousands of foreign students from more than 130 countries in the School.

J:有来自超过130个国家成千上万的外国学生在这个学院呢。

H: I’m not talking about students. There was an agreement between Chinese government and US government that from 2002 to 2007,the School must train 60 officials for Chinese central and local governments.

H:我不是指一般的学生,中国政府和美国政府之间有一个协议,在2002年到2007 年间,学院要培养60名中国的中央和地方官员。

J: I don’t know. But I hope such cooperation can last as long as possible.

J:这我倒不清楚,不过我希望这样的含作能长久下去。

H: So do I. If only there were no great conflicts which would threaten the peaceful relations among countries.

H:我也是这么想的。希望以后没有太大的冲突影响各国家间的和平共处。