一分钟英语 第86期:Not Have a Leg to Stand on
Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!Here's an idiom about arguments, and legs. Not Have a Leg to Stand on
今天栏目的内容是一个与论点和腿有关的习语。站不住脚Let's listen to my friends talking, and using this American idiom:
大家一起听听我的朋友们是如何谈论和使用这个美国习语的。
At first, the insurance company didn't believe me
起初,保险公司并不相信我,when I said the driver ran the red light before hitting my car.
当我说司机闯了红灯才撞到我的车时。But, there's a video that clearly showed his car going through the red light.
但是,当时的监控视频清楚地显示,他的车闯了红灯。Oh, in that case, he doesn't have a leg to stand on!
哦,在那种情况下,司机说的话就站不住脚了。He's going to have to pay to fix your car.
他将不得不支付你修车的钱。Not having a leg to stand on means a person does not have any evidence to support his or her argument.
站不住脚的意思是,一个人没有任何证据来支撑他自己的论点。Without evidence, your argument does not stand up
没有了证据,你的论点就不会站得住脚,under questioning because, if you think about it, not having a leg would make it difficult to stand.
在受到质疑的情况下,这是因为,请你想想,没有一条腿是很难站立的。And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》!